Makes 9 scones
A warm basket of scones is always a welcome sight on a Saturday morning! What better way to make these age-old treats than to bake them in a stone hearth oven?
- 21⁄2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 4 oz. butter
- 3⁄4 cup currants
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
Oven Temperature: 380-400 degrees
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Flame Height: 3
- Melt the butter in a saucepan just inside the doorway of the oven.
- Add the currants and sugar to the butter and stir. Slowly stir in the milk.
- Move the saucepan to center of oven and bring to a boil.
- Once the mixture begins to boil, move pan back to the doorway and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour butter mixture into the flour mixture and quickly stir to combine.
- While the mixture is still hot, drop the dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet in 1⁄3 cup measurements.
- Flame Height: 1
- Bake in doorway until lightly browned, about 8 minutes, rotating cookie sheet after 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack to cool.